Deloitte is the largest private professional services network in the world. Every day, approximately 264,000 professionals in more than 150 countries demonstrate their commitment to a single vision: to be the standard of excellence, while working towards one purpose – to make an impact that matters. Click here to read more about Deloitte.
About Deloitte Tax & Legal
We have a team of approximately 280 professional staff members across South Africa comprised of qualified charted accountants and lawyers who offer specialist insight across many industries. Deloitte Tax professionals keep current on the latest changes that impact clients' business tax strategy, enabling clients to focus on business objectives while we address the tax requirements. Deloitte Legal, amongst the largest legal and regulatory service providers in Africa, assists clients operating in increasingly complex legal, regulatory and digital environments through a multidisciplinary approach, combining integrated legal and commercial expertise.
Tax & Legal – Mergers & Acquisitions – Senior Manager
1. Job Description
In your role as a Tax Senior Manager in the Tax & Legal M&A Team, you will:
· Advise on complex transactions, including group reorganisations, unbundling transactions, BEE transactions and tax efficient acquisitions and disposals of shares or businesses, often focusing on providing hands-on assistance with the implementation of the transactions from “cradle to grave”.
· While advising on the above transactions, you may be required to:
− Prepare and/or review detailed financial and/or transaction step models for the proposed transaction steps (in Excel and/or PowerPoint);
− Review key transaction agreements and resolutions to ensure alignment to the tax objectives and workings outlined in our transaction steps and models;
− Prepare or review detailed transaction implementation checklists; and
− Project manage the transactions and multi-disciplinary advisory teams.
· Project manage, perform and/or review vendor and purchaser tax due diligence reviews and prepare detailed tax due diligence review reports.
· Assist with the development of a sales pipeline, the drafting and/or reviewing of engagement proposals, the performance of risk management procedures and the financial management of the assignments.
· You will work closely with a highly skilled and motivated team based in Johannesburg under the close guidance of Directors and Associate Directors.
2. Minimum Qualifications
· CA (SA), and/or
· Admitted Attorney, and
· Masters or Higher Diploma in Taxation
· Minimum 7 years working experience
· Desired experience includes:
− 4-6 years’ experience in a Corporate Tax and/or M&A Tax
− Tax accrual/return reviews and Tax Due Diligence Reviews
− Tax Structuring experience
− Project/team management experience
4. Specialized Technical Capabilities
· Deal Structuring – Ability to communicate (verbally and/or in writing) complicated structures to our clients in a manner that facilitates understanding of the pros and cons of the various alternatives.
· Agreements and Resolutions – Ability to advise our clients on key tax related aspects of sale/transaction agreements and other ancillary agreements (if any).
· Due Diligence – Ability to analyze complicated tax concepts, identify and quantify potential tax exposures within a tax diligence and recommend how to manage and protect our client against such tax exposures via purchase price adjustment mechanics and/or indemnities/warranties/insurance.
· Transaction Modelling – Preparation/review of an illustrative transaction model, including consideration of the assumptions made and identifying opportunities to improve the proposed structure to optimize the result for our client.
5. Leadership / Behavioural Capabilities
· Competitive Edge - Apply deep knowledge of disruptive trends and competitor activity to drive continuous improvement
· Living our Purpose – Act as a role model and inspire others to embrace and live our purpose and values
· Influence - Build deep relationships across a diverse network and use a flexible influencing style to gain buy-in and drive impact
· Performance Drive – Create opportunities to drive impact; anticipate client needs and deliver superior results by leveraging team members strengths to build high performing teams across businesses and borders
· Strategic Direction – Translate broader strategy into a compelling team vision and goals; align the team and set priorities to achieve objectives
· Talent Development - Actively contribute to building the talent pipeline; creates a talent experience that attracts, develops and retains top talent and high performing teams
6. Core Professional Technical Capabilities
· Strategic Impact - Support the implementation of strategy of the Service Line / Business Area in relation to specific area of expertise
· Budgets / Profitability - Manage margins effectively through accurate budgeting, pricing and profitability management on engagements
· Tax Laws and Rules - Lead client projects and solve complex technical/business issues through innovative approaches while providing direction to others
· Delivery Excellence - Take ultimate responsibility to meet project objectives within established budget and timeline, optimizing project profitability
* Please note that this job advertisement provides a summary of the capabilities required and all candidates shortlisted will receive a full list of capabilities.