To manage the Corporate Banking Legal team, to provide legal services and to monitor, manage and mitigate legal risk in Nedbank Corporate and Investment Banking business.
Managed Financial and Business Results
• Ensure risks are mitigated by providing legal services to Corporate Banking with a particular focus on short term lending products and transactional; services Ensure claims and legal risks against Nedbank are adequately managed by supporting Group Legal Litigation by providing business specific legal input.
• Ensure that the best practice advice and opinions are implemented by providing legal advice on, through application of professional and industry
knowledge and expertise.
Managed Stakeholder Relationships
• Share knowledge and expertise within Group Legal and other stakeholders during management meetings, conferences and external stakeholders' engagements.
• Build and maintain long-term relationships with key stakeholders by becoming a trusted advisor to stakeholders by providing guidance and support through formal and informal operational and strategic engagements.
• Ensure best practice services delivered to stakeholders by identifying legal problems, providing legal solutions, structuring and/or negotiating transactions.
• Protect Nedbank's interests and provide a competitive edge for Legal by representing Nedbank at related forums and providing expert input and guidance.
Managed and monitored legal risk
• Ensure optimal resourcing of function by assessing and monitoring resourcing requirements as per the operational business plans to ensure short - medium term plans (e.g. re-allocation of resources and skills across regions, leverage off expertise and knowledge) and business strategies are achieved nationally.
• Address obstacles and corrective action to be taken with team membersEnsure quality standards and best practices are met through assessing, monitoring and vetting of legal advice and/or opinions and the drafting of legal documentation delivered by managers and teams and take corrective action where required.
• Ensure delivery of legal risk management that meets business requirements by introducing legal best practice and ensuring that processes and/or standardised legal documentation are complied with.
• Ensure business objectives are achieved by managing corporate banking legal risks and identifying problems, structuring and negotiating transactions and ensuring timeous efficient delivery to each stakeholder group
• Ensure consistency in legal advice and/or resolving of legal problems are provided by ensuring service excellence Corporate Banking Legal and overseeing that all legal risks and incidences are reported, and advice documented.
• Improve business results and business processes by participating the various Risk Committees (ERCO) (as applicable) and reporting on and presenting legal risks and recommendations.
Managed Self and Team
• Manage performance of direct reports and hold them accountable for managing the performance of their reports by implementing performance agreements, ensuring a clear vision, agreeing on goals and objectives, providing regular feedback on performance, recognising and rewarding achievement and take appropriate corrective action where required.
• Build depth of skills and knowledge in the Corporate Banking Legal teams nationally by sharing knowledge and insight with team members during mentoring and day-to-day activities.
Legal degree with LLB
Type of Exposure
Minimum Experience Level
10 - 12 years experience as an Attorney or Advocate, including litigation and commercial, 2 - 5 years experience in managing a team.
Technical / Professional Knowledge