General Counsel: Legal, Compliance, Public Policy & Corporate Governance
5 Year Contract Post
Legal and Compliance Services
The job holder is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal Department and legal services rendered to the MRC, provision of legal advice and effective management of legal and contractual risks. The post holder is a member of the Executive Management Committee (EMC) of the SAMRC and reports to the President (CEO).
The Key Responsibilities will include:
• Legal Opinions
• Contracting and documentation support
• Contract management
• Stakeholder and Public Policy Management
• Intellectual Property (IP)
• Corporate Governance
• Support HR in Industrial Relations
• Contributing to management of the SAMRC through the EMC
• Any other responsibilities that may be assigned by the President (CEO)
• Completed Bachelor of Laws Degree (LLB)
• Admission as Attorney or Advocate
• Membership in one or more: Law Society of South Africa; or National Bar Council of South Africa; or General Council of the Bar; or Corporate Counsel Association of South Africa
• Certificate of good standing with the respective Law Society or Bar Council
• 10 years in commercial legal practice or in-house legal function (of which a minimum of 4 years must have been spent in a management, (responsible for work output and staff of 3-5 direct reports) position
• Thorough understanding of the PFMA, MRC Act and other relevant legislation
• Knowledge of Health, Medical, Life Sciences Law and Regulatory Regime
• Knowledge of current legislation, especially those governing Schedule 3A public entities
• Proven track record of providing relevant and appropriate legal counsel
• Proven track record in successfully managing litigations
• Proven track record of adding value to an organisation through the development of contracts that effectively mitigate risk and penalties
• Aptitude in problem-solving, team work and good communication skills
• 5 years of experience in the implementation of efficient contract management processes to facilitate high quality contract preparation routing and finalisation within agreed time frames and in line with service level agreements
• Experiencing representing clients or a previous employer in high level interactions with Parliament, Government, industry, communities, NGOs or other stakeholders.
• Ability to implement compliance systems without compromising business efficiency
• Proactive approach to problem solving
• Ability to build strong working relations with stakeholders at National and International level
• Proven track record of professionalism, integrity, ethics, responsibility and accountability.
The following would be advantageous:
• An MBA / LLM / Post Graduate / Senior / Executive Certificate (from an institution of international repute)
• A strong experience in regulation / practice of law relating to health services, innovation and intellectual property, science collaborations, corporate governance and/or commercial transactions.
• 3 years’ experience in a health orhealthcare environment or in aresearch institution
• Experience in senior management
• Strong experience in mediation or Alternative Dispute Resolution practices.
• Strong experience in cross-border / multi-jurisdictional contracting. Remuneration: A competitive package commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate will be negotiated. In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R176A) IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS