This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating Division. Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted) The closing date is on 10.10.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet.
Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
Position Title : Snr Legal Advisor: Commercial Law
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Legal Services
Location : Parktown
Reporting To : Executive Manager: Commercial Law
Grade Level : D
Reference Number : 50014596
Provide an efficient and holistic professional legal service to the organisation and support the General Counsel’s strategies and business plan to ensure that Transnet Freight Rail operates and undertakes its functions and powers in a lawful manner by safeguarding the legal interests of Transnet Freight Rail in all its dealings with internal & external parties, mainly with respect to commercial contracts, capital investments, international law and relations, regulatory compliance and legal risk management issues of the company.
• Draft, review and edit all contract proposals for completeness, accuracy, legal compliance and adherence to the appropriate terms and conditions and coordinate remedial actions as required to ensure that Transnet Freight Rail performs its obligations in accordance with the signed contract/agreement and ensuring that the company’s interests are legally protected.
• Advise on and prepare the relevant delegations of authority on behalf of the company to ensure that mandates are carried out within the prescribed delegated authorities in order to avoid unnecessary financial losses and litigation arising from non-compliance with Transnet Freight Rail’s corporate governance principles.
• Negotiate specific contractual issues and agreements with external entities on prospective business ventures and working relations on behalf of the company by providing legal advice and setting out conditions to be included in the agreements to ensure that all agreements comply with legal requirements and that proper risk management measures have been considered, in particular Property-related legal matters.
• Provide accurate written & verbal legal opinions to Management regarding policies, procedures and all business/operational issues as well as all transactions which Transnet Freight Rail enters into or concludes with third parties.
• Serve as a principal point of liaison with external legal practitioners and other regulatory bodies.
• Develop, manage and maintain relationships with the key stakeholders, e.g. Government, external Lawyers and legal fraternity to enable Transnet Freight Rail to have a vehicle for lobbying and influencing proposed laws and regulations which will ensure that its business operations won’t be negatively impacted.
• Provide advice on and create awareness to staff and management regarding legislative and other regulatory developments impacting on the business of Transnet Freight Rail.
• Ensure proper implementation and maintenance of a Contract management system. Manage overall commercial legal risk for TFR.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Admission as an Attorney or Advocate of the High Court.
• Minimum 5 years post admission experience (in-house, law firm, etc) of which 3 years must preferably have been spent as an in-house Legal Advisor in a similar size company.
• Be in possession of a (Code B) Driver’s Licence and be competent and prepared to drive such a vehicle.
• Knowledge of, and experience in Property-related legal matters.
• Contract drafting, negotiation and finalisation.
• In-depth knowledge of and experience in Commercial Law & Contract Law.
• Experience in Property law.
• Experience in the legal work-stream of a project.
• Providing legal support to other support services such as Finance, Communications, Procurement and Commercial.
• Understanding of Transnet (freight logistics) business or the Railway Industry will be an added advantage.
• Entrepreneurial skills/Business acumen
• Leadership skills
• Decision making
• Lateral thinker
• Analytical skills
• Interpersonal skill
• Communication skills
• Presentation skills
• People management skills
• Negotiation skills
• Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
• Planning and Organising
• Contract Management
• Team work
• Attention to details
• Team work
• Ability to work independently locally and globally
• Self Management (Self awareness, stress management, self confidence)
NB: Kindly note that the candidate must meet the inherent requirements of the job